Thursday, November 1, 2012

Revised Blog Post #2


In some people’s eyes, the decision on whether or not to go to college is the most important decision of your life. I disagree, but I do feel that, depending on the person, it is a very important decision. College, although not for everyone, can help you out so much in the future.
            I’m from Illinois, so naturally, Jacksonville State wasn’t the place I knew I was going since I was 14. I actually am here because of the volleyball team. I have played volleyball my whole life and when I was recruited by JSU, I fell in love and decided it was the place for me! Before committing, I always knew that I was going to go to college, the question was “Where?”
One of the main reasons I decided to go to college was to study something I love. I want to be a physical therapist in the future and I need to get a couple degrees for that! I am majoring in Exercise Science and Wellness for my undergraduate degree, then I’m going to physical therapy school for three years. Going to college gives you a chance to study and become what you love!
Another reason I made the decision to continue my education was for the challenge. I went to a really small, public high school and I was not challenged at all. The kids in my school that are above the average level are babied a lot. I didn’t want to be babied anymore. Of course, I liked walking in to a test without studying and getting an A, but I wanted to be challenged. College was just the place for that!
A third reason I decided to go to college was to experience something different. People say that college is the best four years of your life. It’s something different than high school and the people you’ve been with for the past twelve years. It new and exciting! I wanted to come and find out what all the hype was about. You build new relationships that last a lifetime. Even in my last 3 months being here, I’ve made friendships that will last forever. You also get to live on your own! Your parents are always there when you’re younger, but when you leave you feel freedom. You do finally understand that Mom was always right…
College isn’t for everyone. Maybe people need to gain experience in a field if they know that’s what they want to do. But I know that, for me, making the decision to come to college was a great decision! College can do a lot of things for you in the present and future! Your chances of getting a job increase tremendously, you build life-long relationships, and you get the experience of a lifetime! 

4 comments:

  1. You are completely right when you say Mom is always right! I would have never understood that so soon if I would have stayed home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlyn, I like the fact that you stressed that going to college depends on what kind of person you are. I feel the same way you do about a lot of things in your posts. College isn't for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completly agree with everyone of your points. This is the biggest decision that we have made so far in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, college is the best four years of your life (at least, it was for me)! I like how you discussed college as an opportunity to be challenged academically. I think far too many students are never really intellectually challenged in K12 and may never know what they are truly capable of if they never go to college. I hope you receive the kind of challenge you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete